I stopped by my favorite place (aka the craft store) the other day to pick up some DIY fall decor to put in my apartment! I always check online for Michaels coupons while I shop so I ended up getting all this stuff for under $35 which was awesome! It also helped that I already had some glitter, mod podge, paint, and paint brushes at my apartment, but still it’s a pretty great deal 🙂
For some reason it always bugs me that holiday decor doesn’t match my space. I wanted to decorate for fall, but I knew all the orange and black would clash with my white, pink, and gold apartment. I decided to do a fun little post on how to make your fall decor a bit more chic!
First Project: Painted Pumpkins
This one is nothing new to anyone, I think we have all seen painted pumpkins before. However I still want to add this in here to remind you that you can make pumpkins perfectly match your space for fall! I was going to buy all orange pumpkins then buy spray paint to make them white, but since my store already had white pumpkins I went ahead and just stuck with those.
-Pumpkins (plastic or real – these were originally $9.99, but are currently 50% off at Michaels)
-Glitter of your choice (I really like Martha Stewart because the glitter is fine instead of large)
-Spray paint or acrylic paint of your choice
- Paint the pumpkin by sections with mod podge and lightly sprinkle glitter over it.
- Continue until you cover the whole pumpkin. Shake off and let dry.
- With a different pumpkin cover the tip with blue painters tape.
- Spray paint outside until all areas of the pumpkin are covered then let dry. You can also use acrylic paint instead of spray paint.
Second Project: Fall Crate
For some reason I really love how fall looks when written in cursive! When I saw these crates at Michaels that were 50% off (lol I swear this isn’t sponsored I just really love Michaels and there is a store 30 seconds from my apartment 🙂 ) I decided I needed to add it to my fall decor! You don’t necessarily have to write fall on your decor, you can also trace a leaf pattern or write other words like “autumn,” “thankful,” “home,” etc.
-Crate (this one was only $10 from Michaels)
-Fillers (I bought fake flowers)
- This one is also super easy, all you have to do is paint whatever you want on the wooden crate!
- (Optional) before you start you can trace whatever you are writing/drawing with pencil.
Third Project: Feather Garland
I got this idea when I saw this cute ribbon at Michaels! I thought it would be fun to sew some feathers onto the ribbon and make a cute, fall garland! It was also be super cute to hang the letters “FALL” or “AUTUMN” onto the garland too. The bows on the end are optional, but I thought it was a fun touch!
- Start by threading your thread through the needle and poke it through the end of the feather (as shown in the photo above).
- String it through the ribbon then tie it in a knot so it stays on the ribbon.
- Alternate feather colors until you reach the end up of the ribbon.
- Make a small bow for each side of the ribbon.
- Thread the ribbon into the bow and sew onto each side.
Pin this on Pinterest for later!
Lauren Emily Lindmark
Copyright © 2016 dailydoseofcharm.com