As the queen of getting a good night’s sleep, I wanted to share with you all my tips on how to get your best night of sleep ever! Hopefully I am not jinxing myself writing this, but I consider myself a pretty good sleeper and I usually don’t have much trouble. The only time I do have trouble is if I do anything that is opposite of these tips below haha! All of these things are what I do to assure I sleep my best. Comment your tips below so readers can get even more tips!
PS how cute is this “Nama-Stay in Bed” t-shirt from Target?! I purchased this over the summer and I am finally getting around to wearing it. I know for sure that they still sell these at Target if you are interested in buying one! Also, there is a full room decor post coming soon, however, I still posted links above to everything you!
- Look forward to sleeping. I don’t know what it is, but when I really look forward to bed I ended up crashing so easily! After a long day I think we all look forward to finally getting cozy in bed. Having a mindset of being excited for sleep will help your body feel as though falling asleep is a reward.
- Give yourself time to relax before bed, even if you have a lot of studying or work to do. I like to stop what I am doing an hour or so before bed and use some time to wind down, shower, wash my face, and lay in bed! A lot of people can’t watch TV before bed, however, I have no problem with it. If unwinding while watching TV doesn’t work for you before bed – try reading! If I ever have a night where I really can’t fall asleep it helps me to read a little then I fall right asleep.
- Make sure your bed is comfy (warning this makes it dangerously hard to get out of bed in the morning, but at least you’re well rested)! When I moved into my apartment my mattress was hard as a rock so my mom and I bought a mattress pad and now it’s the comfiest bed I’ve ever had! I also had a mattress pad on my dorm bed last year and it made the best 1000x better!
- Experiment with different pillows. Some people like firm pillows and some people like soft ones, I have a few different kinds on my bed and I’ll switch off sleeping with them depending on what I’m feeling! This goes along with having a comfy bed, you want to set yourself up with the best night’s sleep possible!
- Don’t eat right before bed. I have the biggest problem with having late night snacks, but it always affects my sleep weird. I try not to eat too close to bedtime now so I don’t have weird dreams or an off night.
- Stay hydrated and take your vitamins! Overall being a healthy person will help with your sleep a lot, I’m not saying that if you don’t sleep well you’re unhealthy – but I’ve found when I’m feeling my best I sleep the best!
- Sleep in a cold room! My apartment is a chilly 69° when I’m home since it has still been 85° outside in Kansas City, sometimes it’s annoying being cold during the day – but at night I love it! It helps me get cozy and I sleep so well. I also sleep with my fan on because I like the air flow, in my dorm last year I had a fan on a stand pointing at my bed to help me sleep.
- Invest in blue light shielding glasses or turn on night shift on your iPhone 3 to 4 hours before bed – here’s an article about blue light that describes it way better than I do. It basically keeps your mind more awake when you are on your phone or computer close to nighttime hours. Having blue light shielding glasses or at least turning your phone on night-shift actually helps your mind relax!
- Sleep in a clean bed and also shower before bed. This may be a personal thing, but I sleep way better when I am clean. I love feeling clean while I’m cuddled in bed. If I fall asleep after doing things all day and not showering, or at least washing my face, I feel gross and not ready for bed.
Lauren Emily Lindmark
Copyright © 2016 dailydoseofcharm.com